[U-Boot-Users] Re: Should "imls" show ramdisk_image.gz copied into the flash ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 22 00:25:21 CEST 2004

In message <20040921.151713.5279.260575 at webmail08.lax.untd.com> you wrote:

> > ramdisk_image.gz is missing a valid U-boot header.
>
> ramdisk_image.gz was downloaded from the site you have recommended:
>
>  ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ppc_82xx

Yes, but it's still just a  compressed  ramdisk  image,  and  not  an
U-Boot image.

> What is the missing operation (which is not, by the way, in the 7.6 of your manual, which also -I just double-checked - still refers to downloading from ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk - you may consider correcting it, Sir
> ...), which I have to perform (over ramdisk_image.gz downloaded from your "correct" site ?)?

Please let me know where you find this stale link. The manual page at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxRamdiskRoot
looks OK to me.

> To reiterate, I do not think this "missing" step is covered in 7.6 either.

No, this is not in 7.6. But did you read the README?

> Could I kindly ask you to be more detailed in your answers - so I will not need to bother you yet again.

If I answer all your questions in complete detail, split into  easily
digestable  chunks  you  will  just  follow  the  description without
thinking. Tomorrow, you'll ask similar  questions  again.  Instead  I
want  to  make you start thinking yourself. In thge long term this is
much more efficient - for you and for me.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that  causes  you
to  stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you
have crossed the mountain.