[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot not responding back to ARP requests?

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Mon Sep 27 02:44:02 CEST 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>Why does your server do that? It just TALKED with 192.168.0.2, so  it
>should  really  be able to remember which MAC address it used to send the
>ICMP replies to.

The server is a stock 2.6.4 kernel (SuSe 9.1) - so I think that the issue
might be wide spread. I will ask on the LKML why it does this.

>Why should U-Boot respond? It has completed it's  network  task,  and shut
>down the network driver. It does not even attempt to receive any packets
>from the network any more.

OK - this is more of a development issue than anything I guess - most
people will not be having U-boot sit on their network for days on end, like
I do now. I would be interested in understanding based on the lists usage -
how many people use u-boot to load a kernel, vs just use it to run a
standalone application as shown in the examples directory.

>For U-Boot this is a S.E.P. (Somebody Else's  Problem).

Yeah - my problem as soon as the network admin figures out what is going
on, and tells me I can't have U-boot plugged into the network. :( There is
so much ARP/RARP traffic that the subnet performance is about 1/10 of what
it should be. So far the only person complaining was me, and now I will stop.

>U-Boot  does not care about this (and there is no reason why it should).

I agree (almost) - it is a development issue that is only a problem during
bring up and testing of U-boot. There is no reason to change production
level code to fix a development issue.

Thanks
-Robin