[U-Boot-Users] GPL Licensing issues

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 27 09:22:07 CEST 2004

In message <6.1.1.1.0.20040926174406.01e1d130 at wheresmymailserver.com> you wrote:
> The files in the examples directory - since everything needs to be linked
> to u-boot to work, and u-boot is released under the GPL, does that mean
> that custom user applications are also under the GPL - or do you use
> Linus's relationship of kernel/application separation?

Standalone applications only use exported U-Boot  services.  They  do
not  have  to  be linked against any U-Boot code. So ther eis no need
for  standalone  applications  to  be  GPLed  -  exactly   like   the
kernel/application separation in Linux.

> Either is OK - I was just going to be talking to some people and wanted to
> make sure they understood things about how to keep their secret sauce to
> them selves.

See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/UBootdoc/Presentation for some
materrial I prepared for soem U-Boot presentations myself; it covers
this topic in
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/UBootdoc/StandalonePrograms

> I assume that if it does use U-Boot functions, then the application is a
> derivative work, and should be covered under the GPL (must make available

But standalone applications doe not use U-Boot functions by  linking,
only through the exported interface. Just like Linux system calls.

> source, per the GPL). If the application does not use any U-boot functions,
> it would not be classified a derivative work - because it could be stand
> alone program, and burned into flash without U-boot to load it.

No. You can burn it into flash, but you still need U-boot to run it -
like you need  a  Linux  kernel  to  run  a  proprietary  application
program.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I am an atheist, thank God!