[U-Boot-Users] GPL Licensing issues

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Mon Sep 27 02:54:48 CEST 2004

The files in the examples directory - since everything needs to be linked
to u-boot to work, and u-boot is released under the GPL, does that mean
that custom user applications are also under the GPL - or do you use
Linus's relationship of kernel/application separation?

Either is OK - I was just going to be talking to some people and wanted to
make sure they understood things about how to keep their secret sauce to
them selves.

I assume that if it does use U-Boot functions, then the application is a
derivative work, and should be covered under the GPL (must make available
source, per the GPL). If the application does not use any U-boot functions,
it would not be classified a derivative work - because it could be stand
alone program, and burned into flash without U-boot to load it.

I thought I would get the contributors/maintainers aspects before I started
spreading nasty rumors and untruths - so can someone clarify things for me?

-Robin