[U-Boot-Users] GPL Licensing issues

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 08:27:17 CEST 2004

> The files in the examples directory - since everything needs to be linked
> to u-boot to work, and u-boot is released under the GPL, does that mean
> that custom user applications are also under the GPL - or do you use
> Linus's relationship of kernel/application separation?

Didn't linux say that linking involves using the GPL. I remember a
discussion about this very topic a couple of months ago on the lkml
(about the nvidia modules).

As far as I am concerned, including GPL header files makes your
application GPL (since you implicitly verbatim copy code).

This being said, I have problems convincing collegues who are
convinced that they write a piece of 'original' code and don't want to
make it public...

--
ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul