[U-Boot-Users] PCI cards known to work on the LITE5200

Jonas Mark-r50740 Mark.Jonas at freescale.com
Mon Sep 27 08:28:08 CEST 2004

Hello,

> I am currently using a LITE5200. There is a known (annoying)
> PCI issue with the MPC5200, and therdfore most of the PCI
> cards I have tried on the LITE5200 were not recognized. For
> several of them, u-boot even crashed (bus error). I was
> wondering if somedy has tried with success common PCI
> graphics cards and gigabit ethernet cards...

Please note that this problem needs two partners to be seen. On the one hand, MPC5200 violates Tvalmin by having this about 1ns instead of at least 2 ns according to spec. On the other hand, a PCI card needs to be able to handle a Tvalmin of down to 0 ns when somebody reads from it. So if both sides behave badly the card is not recognized during Type-0 configuration.

> I have tried a suggested workaround, using an ICS574 to
> adjust the MPC5200 PCI clock signal from the PCI bus, but
> still no luck with the PCI cards I have tried (although it
> should work with the PCI SM712 eval board).

How did you adjust the clock using the clock buffer mentioned above? Overdoing it will also cause harm especially during writes. My suggestion is to measure the real Tvalmin and then adjust it that it just reaches 2 ns.

Regards
Mark Jonas