[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot not responding back to ARP requests?

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Mon Sep 27 14:57:41 CEST 2004

Another option is to put a cheap firewall/router between your development LAN and the Co. LAN, at least until you have the bulk of the bugs out.  This keeps you from polluting the Co. LAN and keeps the Co. LAN from causing seemingly random misbehavior while you are working the bugs out.  Note that the heavier traffic of the Co. LAN (especially broadcast if you have Microsoft/Novel protocols running around on the Co. LAN) can be a Good Thing[tm] for flushing out some remaining ethernet bugs on your development target.  Don't ask me how I know ;-).

You can set the FW/R to have a "DMZ" machine... set the DMZ IP address to be your development target, then any packets sent to the FW/R's IP address will get forwarded to your development target's IP address.

The _best_ configuration (IMHO) is to have the FW/R and two cards in a PC, one connected to each LAN.  This gives a lot of flexibility without having to unplug/reconfigure your LANs.

Just as a piece of trivia: the LinkSys BEFSR81v3 and BEFSR41v3 (version 3 only, version 2 was OK) FW/Rs had a problem where they would respond to _every_ ARP request on the net with an ARP reply.  That made our co-workers really unhappy with the network performance which, in turn, made the IT department very unhappy.  We ended up with in an edict from the top that v3s were _not_ to be plugged into the network.  LinkSys fixed the BEFSR41v3 (4 port) FW/Rs pretty quickly, but it took them nearly a year to fix the less popular 8 port BEFSR81v3 FW/Rs.  Of course, we had been buying the 8 port version.  We were _not_ pleased.

gvb

The following messages are brought to you by the Lawyers' League of IdioSpeak:

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.