[U-Boot-Users] MPC8245 custom board, Linux kernel hangs after uncompressing

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 20 02:01:38 CEST 2005

In message <2cf2641f0504191646536d2ad5 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am trying to run Embedded linux (ELDK) on a custom powerpc board,
> which is similar to Artis A3000 board. This board has
> mpc8245(XPC8245LZY266B), natsemi 83815 ethernet, 4MB intel e28f320
> flash, 16MB winbond w986432DH-6 SDRAM. So I configured and compiled
> U-boot for A3000 borad. U-boot worked on my board also. Next I
> compiled ELDK 3.0 for Sandpoint 8245 board and copied to flash. But

I don't think that you compiled the _ELDK_!

> linux hangs after uncompressing
> nothing happens after this until I reboot the board. I read u-boot FAQ
> and configured bd_info structure same for both u-boot and Linux. I
> found that CFG_IMMR is not applicable to MPC8245. I also used
> clocks_in_mhz variable also before loading Linux. I am stuck here.

I hope with "used" you mean that you made sure it is NOT set.

> Could you please let me know what should I do next?

You make a fundamental error. You're using  an  U-Boot  configuration
which has not been correctly ported and configured to your board, and
you're  using  a Linux kernel which has not been correctly ported and
configured to your board.

This cannot work. Go back to square 1.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z. X is work.  Y
is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.                 - Albert Einstein