[U-Boot-Users] single step flash w/ gdb ocdremote ??

Andreas Schweigstill andreas at schweigstill.de
Mon Aug 8 15:00:20 CEST 2005

Dear Chuck!

Chuck T. schrieb:
 > Remote DDD works fine except for one fatal flaw ... I can't single step
 > flash.  It single steps code loaded into RAM.  Since both insight and
 > DDD are really just shells talking to gdb talking to ocdremote
 > (gdbserver workalike) it seems clear that my problem is I haven't
 > configured gdb to use hardware breakpoints while single stepping, but
 > I've searched and searched and googled and googled and can't find
 > anything other than hbreak.  What am I missing?

Unfortunately I don't work with GDB related debuggers but on the
Lauterbach TRACE32 ICD there are two possibilities for setting hardware
breakpoints; first you can specify it by an additional parameter called
/onchip. Second you you define a memory map with the attributes
map.readonly or map.bonchip (which are internally the same). I expect
that similar attributes exist for GDB. Unfortunately not all ARM related
debugging features are implemented properly on GDB; that's why I prefer
Lauterbach debuggers. IIRC they allow also to set software breakpoints
in certain Flash memory devices.

With best regards
Andreas Schweigstill

--