[U-Boot-Users] single step flash w/ gdb ocdremote ??

Chuck T. freebsdfan at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 7 17:23:41 CEST 2005

I'm trying to bring up u-boot/arm Linux on a new board from scratch using a
Wiggler and ocdremote.  I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to single
step code in flash.  I can't debug from RAM because u-boot is working when
loaded into RAM, the problem I'm trying to debug only occurs when u-boot is
running from flash.

Since ocdremote is only supported on Windoze I've installed cygwin and the
xscale gnu tools from the macraigor site on an XP system and the
Windoze/cygwin based Insight debugger is happy to single step code in flash.
  HOWEVER all of my development is on a Linux platform I'd much rather use
DDD on Linux.

Remote DDD works fine except for one fatal flaw ... I can't single step
flash.  It single steps code loaded into RAM.  Since both insight and DDD
are really just shells talking to gdb talking to ocdremote (gdbserver
workalike) it seems clear that my problem is I haven't configured gdb to use
hardware breakpoints while single stepping, but I've searched and searched
and googled and googled and can't find anything other than hbreak.  What am
I missing?