[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot interpreter syntax change?

Keith J Outwater kjoutwater at raytheon.com
Thu Aug 18 20:41:04 CEST 2005

Hello -
I was recently porting some old U-Boot scripts to my new board and I was
having a problem with the kernel command line.  Instead of getting
substitutions for things like $(ipaddr), I was seeing, literally,
$(ipaddr) in the kernel command line as reported by the kernel.  I also
saw a similar problem with the U-Boot tftpboot command.

This:
Ant2> setenv load_kernel tftp $(loadaddr) $(kernel_image);
Ant2> run load_kernel

Gives this output from U-Boot:
Ant2> run load_kernel
TFTP from server 192.168.0.100; our IP address is 192.168.0.10
Filename '$(kernel_image)'.

While this:
Ant2> setenv load_kernel tftp $loadaddr $kernel_image
Ant2> run load_kernel

Gives this:
Ant2> run load_kernel
TFTP from server 192.168.0.100; our IP address is 192.168.0.10
Filename 'kernel.uImage'.

Which works.

I checked the DULG, and the guide indicates that the first form shown
above is correct.
Have things changed or do I have something misconfigured? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Keith