[U-Boot-Users] debugging U-boot with GDB on a Au1550

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 21:24:01 CEST 2005

On 7/18/05, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/05, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> > In message <f96d234e05071614186ad9526a at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> > >
> > > most ARM platforms are linked to the RAM location.  After U-boot is
> > > relocated to RAM, how do I tell GDB what the new link address is
> > > (0x80fdc000 in this case)?
> >
> > May I suggest that you start reading the manual? Especially section
> > http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/DebuggingUBoot#Section_10.1.2.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion -- very helpful.  Things still are not
> working for me.  Setup:
>
> - Au1550
> - U-boot CVS tip
> - using MIPS toolchain from ELDK 3.3.1
> - BDI2000

For the record, after upgrading to BDI firmware version V1.11 and gdb
version 6.3.50, things are working much better.  Still can't single
step through ROM with GDB, but after relocating to RAM, everything
works as advertised.

> Another strange thing w/ GDB, when I type "break <function name>" the
> resulting breakpoint is 10 instructions past the start of the
> function.

As suggested by Andrew Dyer, GDB is skipping the stack frame setup at
the beginning of functions.

Cliff