[U-Boot-Users] Boot x86 target from flash, with the image and file system on the x86 host.

batsayan.das at tcs.com batsayan.das at tcs.com
Tue Aug 23 07:17:26 CEST 2005

I am exploring the nfs boot of Fedora 3 for x86 platform. I have two x86
m/c. One(host) is loaded with FC3 . The other (target) has only blank IDE
flash dive.

My plan is :

1.Prepare kernel image "at the host for the target". (Pls note that host
and target both are x86. )
2.Prepare file system "at the host for the target".
3.NFS mount the kernel image and the file system at host.
4.Connect the flash to the host  burn the flash with kernel image
5.Connect the flash to the target and power on the target.
6.The target will, download the image from the host; mounts file sys and
boots.

The flash should have some boot loader like u-boot along with the kernel
image. I am not sure whether bootloader + kernel image can be mixed
together and put into the flash. The other solution may be to put only the
bootloader onto the flash. When the target is powered on with the IDE
flash, the (boot loader+ kernel image) OR (the boot loader) should start
up the x86 platform. Pls note that the kernel image, file system etc are
kept on the host system by nfs mount.

Any pointer to the above will be of great help.

Thanks,
Das

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited.   If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you