[U-Boot-Users] Different directories for source and object

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 30 15:49:15 CEST 2005

In message <43146134.7040903 at schweigstill.de> you wrote:

> I would like to use separate directories for source and object
> file when compiling U-Boot, like it is possible for the Linux

Submit a patch :-)

> kernel 2.6.x. Unfortunately in U-Boot there are generated
> source and configuration files which also would have to be
> moved to the object file directories.

As long as you remember to re-build it after new files get added  you
can use a sym-linked tree for building.

> The reason for such a separation is that I would like to use
> a common source tree for several hardware configurations of
> the target system; a global "make all" should create all
> configurations at once.

"At once" is probably not  feasible,  unless  you  have  a  massively
parallel build host ;-) And if you have to build targets more or less
sequentially,  then  you can actually do it sequentially. I don't see
any immediate advantage over - for example - a  trivial  script  like
this:

	IMAGES="u-boot.bin u-boot.srec u-boot.map System.map"
	for board in ${LIST} ; do
		mkdir -p ../images/${board}/
		./MAKEALL ${board} && cp -l ${IMAGES} ../images/${board}/
	done

[Note: even on a fast SMP machine there is no significant  difference
between building N targets in parallel or sequentially.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Life and death are seldom logical."
"But attaining a desired goal always is."
	-- McCoy and Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2821.7