[U-Boot-Users] uboot basics ?

Ram vshrirama at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:36:46 CEST 2005

Hi,
I am going through the uboot drivers code for smc91111 ethernet controller
in uboot.

My Objective is to know how boot loader configures the ethernet controller.

This is for the first time i am going thru a boot loader code.

I have some doubts:

How does a boot loader know which device is connected. say i have connected
the smc 91111 ethernet
controller - how does it know it is smc91111 controller.

I think as soon as it detects the smc91111 controller is connected. it must
configure that - i think the
code in drivers/smc91111.c must be executed.

What will happen if there are 2 ethernet controllers in the board. how
u-boot responds to this.

However, i am not following the code given in smc91111.c i really dont know
what it is doing ?.

i have the data sheets with me and going thru it. i must admit i am totally
confused.

Does anybody know what constitues configuring a ethernet controller and what
the code does ?.

i would request you to kindly let me the flow in u-boot. from startup to
configuring ind. devices.

Any description is available in this matter will be very useful.

Any pointers in this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Regards,
Ram