[U-Boot-Users] uboot basics ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 31 08:57:02 CEST 2005

In message <8bf24776050830223673cd6b8e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> How does a boot loader know which device is connected. say i have connected>

U-Boot is stupid. It doesn't "know" anything. It just does  what  you
tell it.

> the smc 91111 ethernet
> controller - how does it know it is smc91111 controller.

It doesn't know. It juist runs the code you configure into it.

> I think as soon as it detects the smc91111 controller is connected. it must>

It doesn;t detect it. It just runs the init code if you configure it.

> What will happen if there are 2 ethernet controllers in the board. how
> u-boot responds to this.

If just does what you configure...

> Does anybody know what constitues configuring a ethernet controller and wha> t
> the code does ?.

I'd say such a question is off topic here. You are supposed to have a
deep understanding of the hardware and driver code when digging  into
boot loader code.

> i would request you to kindly let me the flow in u-boot. from startup to
> configuring ind. devices.

Just start at the reset entry point and follow the code. Ther eis  no
easy way to understand it all.

> Any description is available in this matter will be very useful.

Read the README and the manual.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Our business is run on trust.  We trust you will pay in advance.