[U-Boot-Users] the broken linker problem...

Gerhard Jaeger g.jaeger at sysgo.com
Wed Aug 31 10:14:33 CEST 2005

Hi list,

I followed the discussions about broken linker and wrong command table
relocation and decided to dig somewhat deeper. I have sent a report
to the binutils guys. Please see the short discussion on the binutils
list about that issue:
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-08/msg00412.html

You'll also find the version information there, about the point the behaviour
of the linker changed and the explanation of Alan Modra why it has been
changed.

In the end, I got the expression, that we really need to introduce
a small change to the linker scripts to fix that issue:

  . = .;
  __u_boot_cmd_start = .;
  .u_boot_cmd : { *(.u_boot_cmd) }
  __u_boot_cmd_end = .;

The . = .; is the proposed fix. See ld.texinfo "dot outside sections"
for more explanations.

Hope that sheds some light on that issue.

Cheers
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Jaeger <gjaeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software