[U-Boot-Users] the broken linker problem...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 31 12:03:12 CEST 2005

In message <200508311014.33369.g.jaeger at sysgo.com> you wrote:

> I followed the discussions about broken linker and wrong command table
> relocation and decided to dig somewhat deeper. I have sent a report
> to the binutils guys. Please see the short discussion on the binutils
> list about that issue:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-08/msg00412.html

Thanks for all of this, this really helps a lot.

Umm... You write in this discussion:

| Hmmm, I get the impression, that I need to re-read the docs more carefully...

Well, I tried before. But the documentation for  2.15.94.0.2.2  which
is  for  example  used  in  Fedora Core 4 does not mention anythingof
this. Not even a hint. So this is obviously a new "feature", and they
even bothered to document  it.  I  wonder  why  they  broke  existing
behaviour  in  the  first place. In my opinion the ". = ." thing is a
workaround for a linke bug. But I have neither time nor nerves to  do
anything about it, so I'll give way.

> In the end, I got the expression, that we really need to introduce
> a small change to the linker scripts to fix that issue:
>
>   . = .;

Will do that. Thanks again!!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If a train station is a place where a train stops,
                                           then what's a workstation?