[U-Boot-Users] Help required to bring up kernel from U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 16 11:11:01 CET 2005

This is a FAQ. Please see http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/Faq

> 1. What are the minimum information Linux needs from U-Boot to come up
> properly?  In the Linux source tree we have put some printk statement and
> found that base address of SDRAM, size, etc are passed correctly to Linux
> by U-Boot.

Be careful with printk() at inappropieate places (i.e. too early).

But tell me - how where you  able  to  see  anthing  with  printk  if
"nothing comes" as you write above ???

> 2. Is the info passed from U-Boot is sufficient enough to make the kernel
> up?

Yes, of course. It works on thousands of systems.

> 3. If not, where should I concentrate in Linux tree?

On your changes.

And please keep this off the U-Boot list. It is off topic here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
CONSUMER NOTICE:  Because  of  the  "Uncertainty  Principle,"  It  Is
Impossible  for  the  Consumer  to  Find  Out  at  the Same Time Both
Precisely Where This Product Is and How Fast It Is Moving.