[U-Boot-Users] Help required to bring up kernel from U-Boot

batsayan.das at tcs.com batsayan.das at tcs.com
Fri Dec 16 05:49:53 CET 2005

Hello,

I am using MPC8260ADS based customs board. I have configured the memory
map in U-Boot as follows

SDRAM : 0x00000000  (size=128 MB)
FLASH   :  0x30000000 (size= 1MB)
SRAM : 0xFFF00000 (size 4MB)

There are also other components in the board, like  FRAMER , DSP, etc. I
have not initialized the memory map of those components in U-Boot.
I am able to get the U-Boot prompt when run by TRACE23.  I have build a
default MPC8260ADS kernel, the only changes I have made is in the variable
IMAP_ADDR , BCSR_ADDR in  arch/ppc/platforms/ads8260.h. I have put those
values from the already running U-Boot code.

Our TEXT_BASE=0xFFF00000
HRCW value= "0E A2 82 05"

I copied uImage to location 0x04000000 and  the Load Address=0x00000000
and Entry point=0x00000000.  The bootm 0x04000000 gives the o/p
"Transferring Control to Linux" and then nothing comes. Where is the
wrong?

My question is
1. What are the minimum information Linux needs from U-Boot to come up
properly?  In the Linux source tree we have put some printk statement and
found that base address of SDRAM, size, etc are passed correctly to Linux
by U-Boot.
2. Is the info passed from U-Boot is sufficient enough to make the kernel
up?
3. If not, where should I concentrate in Linux tree?

Pls help.

Thanks,
Batsayan Das
Tata Consultancy Services Limited
Mailto: batsayan.das at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited.   If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you