[U-Boot-Users] booting from USB

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 1 19:38:33 CET 2005

Hallo Jonas,

in message <41FFB499.1060804 at fsforth.de> you wrote:

> I'm interested in booting a linux image from a USB memory stick.
> I configured u-boot (version 1.1.2) to provide me with the usb commands.
> I try to load the image with the following commands.
> usb rest

rest or reset?

> usb scan
> usbboot 10000 0:1
>
> The usbboot command ends up with
>    Type: U-Boot
> First Block: 32,  # of blocks: 255456, Block Size: 512
>
> ** Bad Magic Number **

Ummm... the number of blocks is obviously bogus -  255456  blocks  is
124  MB;  I  don't  think  that's the real size of your kernel image.
Probably you made some error when storing the image to the USB stick.

> The image is the same I download with the tftp command. Should I create
> the image in a different way?

How did you write the image to the USB stick?

You can also try looking at the image data, something like this:

=> tft 100000 uImage
=> md 100000
=> usb read 200000 20 10
=> md 200000

Do you see any difference?

Viele Grüße,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It may be bad manners to talk with your mouth full, but it isn't  too
good either if you speak when your head is empty.