[U-Boot-Users] booting from USB

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 3 13:02:55 CET 2005

Hallo Jonas,

in message <42020ABB.2010106 at fsforth.de> you wrote:

> A9M9750 # usbboot 10000 0:1

>    Type: U-Boot
> First Block: 1,  # of blocks: 10239, Block Size: 512
>
> ** Bad Magic Number **
>
> Ok, let me see if the image on the stick is corrupt. I loaded it with
> the fatload command.

fatload? FATLOAD??? You mean you have a FAT filesystem on that partition???

Than why do you try using usbboot? usbboot like diskboot try to  load
an U-Boot image from a RAW partition, i. e. without any filesystem on
it.

> A9M9750 # fatload usb 0:1 10000 uImage

If you have a  FAT  filesystem you should use fatload  to load your image.
If you have an ext2 filesystem you should use ext2load to load your image.
If you have a  foo  filesystem you should use fooload  to load your image.

> And it works. Nice. But whats going/I'm doing wrong with the usbboot
> command?

You used the command without having a valid image IN THE RAW PARTITION.

The "First Block: 1, # of blocks: 10239,  Block  Size:  512"  message
should  not  be  printed at all; it is actually debug code only. I'll
change this in the code. I'll also make the code  verify  the  header
checksum  -  just  relying  on the magic number is probably a bit too
weak.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The high cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.