[U-Boot-Users] i2c compiling and/or linking problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 10 20:23:08 CET 2005

In message <420B9826.9080405 at web.de> you wrote:
> > Why would you need this?
>
> No idea, just because others do include it for some reason.

This is a bad strategy. NEVER do something  which  you  don't  under-
stand.  At  least  TRY  to understand things before blindly following
others.

> I thought that CFG_HARD_I2C would do everything on its own - and there's

Remember, this is software. Never will "everything"  happen  "on  its
own". You will always have to program each and every action yourself.

> less to configure in the /include/configs/board.h file.
> Why is the HARD I2c so much more difficult?

Just look at the code.

> > Maybe there is no hardware I2C implementation for your processor?
> I just assumed there was one for the MPC875, maybe that was premature.

No, that's an 8xx, and should work. However, I still recommend to use
soft-i2c instead.

> > needed. Again, I recommend to use soft-i2c  instead.  There  is  zero
> > advantages with hard-i2c, just a lot of trouble.
>
> You're the expert, I'm convinced ;-)

Again, this is not a good strategy. Of course I feel flattered if you
call me an expert, but I'd prefer if you make your decisions based on
understanding, not on hearsay.

Viele Grüße,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the  precipi-
tate.