[U-Boot-Users] PATCH: Force TFTP to use a fixed UDP port

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 7 00:31:34 CET 2005

In message <41DDB3DE.4010403 at smiths-aerospace.com> you wrote:

> Attached is a patch to allow the user to set an environment variable

Please change a few things:

> "tftpourport" to force TFTP to use that value for "TftpOurPort" (our UDP

Please use a more straightforward name, like "tftpport" or
"tftp-port" or so.

Please document the variable in the README.

>   - The additional code can be totally removed by setting the
>     #define TFTP_PORT_FROM_ENV (in the net/tftp.c file) to zero.

This is unacceptable.  First,  please  make  this  a  CONFIG_*  name.
Second,  please  make  it  such that you have to explicitely _enable_
this option when you want it,  instead  of  making  it  the  default.
Finally, please use #ifdef instead of #if.

>   - The purpose behind this change is that our customer will
>     modify their TFTP server so that it blindly starts the
>     TFTP transfer using the pre-configured target IP address
>     and UDP port. This will have the effect of "punching through"
>     the (Windows XP) firewall, allowing the remainder of the TFTP
>     transfer to proceed normally.

Such verbosity is inacceptable for the  CHANGELOG.  Move  it  to  the
README or a doc/ file.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capaci-
ty - the rest is overhead for the operating system.