[U-Boot-Users] MPC8540 Custom Board _start_e500

Jeff Stevens jsteve17 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 17:28:48 CET 2005

I am in the process of bringing up a custom SBC with
an MPC8540.  I am using the BDI2000 to debug.  When I
trace through the code, the system halts in
_start_e500 in start.S where it invalidates MMU L1/L2.
 I have a Rev 1 processor, and the errata is included
at the top of _start_e500.  It seems to fail at isync.
 I have included some screen captures from the BDI2000
and the source.

BDI>ti
    Target CPU        : MPC8560/8540 Rev.2
    Target state      : halted
    Debug entry cause : single step
    Current PC        : 0xfffff14c
    Current CR        : 0x40000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00000200
    Current LR        : 0x00000000
    Current CCSRBAR   : 0x40000000
BDI>ti
    Target CPU        : MPC8560/8540 Rev.2
    Target state      : halted
    Debug entry cause : single step
    Current PC        : 0xfffff150
    Current CR        : 0x40000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00000200
    Current LR        : 0x00000000
    Current CCSRBAR   : 0x40000000
BDI>ti
- Core status is 0x0041
*** Core is stopped, no restart possible
# PPC: timeout while waiting for halt
BDI>    Target CPU        : MPC8560/8540 Rev.2
    Target state      : halted
    Debug entry cause : COP freeze
    Current PC        : 0x00000000
    Current CR        : 0x00000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00000000
    Current LR        : 0x00000000
    Current CCSRBAR   : 0x40000000
# Step timeout detected

start.S
        /*
         * Invalidate MMU L1/L2
         *
         * Note: There is a fixup earlier for Errata
CPU4 on
         * Rev 1 parts that must precede this MMU
invalidation.
         */
        li      r2, 0x001e
        mtspr   MMUCSR0, r2
        isync

start.S objdump:
 140:   38 20 20 00     li      r1,8192
 144:   7c 3f 63 a6     mtspr   415,r1
 148:   38 40 00 1e     li      r2,30
 14c:   7c 54 fb a6     mtiac1  r2
 150:   4c 00 01 2c     isync
 154:   38 60 00 04     li      r3,4

Could the initializationt that the BDI does be
interfering here?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
   Jeff Stevens