[U-Boot-Users] u-boot.lds questions

Peter Asemann peter.asemann at web.de
Wed Jan 19 13:03:15 CET 2005

I've "successfully" built my u-boot port (it doesn't throw warnings/error).

To do so I just copied some u-boot.lds from some other port.
I know that the u-boot.lds is a linker script that instructs the linker
to put code elements together in some specific way. At least the first
part does so. But the lower parts of the u-boot.lds I copied seem to be
increasingly deep magic. So... what does the u-boot.lds do exactly and
what happens if mine is wrong/broken? And why do I need it anyway?

The built put out the following things in the main directory:

-rwxr-x---          1234997 Jan 19 12:51 u-boot
-rwxr-x---           171372 Jan 19 12:51 u-boot.bin
-rw-r-----            94836 Jan 19 12:51 u-boot.map
-rwxr-x---           514202 Jan 19 12:51 u-boot.srec

there are some parts that probably are important in board/esm (my
board's directory) too:

-rw-r-----            17000 Jan 17 16:05 esm.o
-rw-r-----            17176 Jan 17 16:05 libesm.a

Does that look reasonable/good?