[U-Boot-Users] new port/code location

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 18:20:36 CET 2005

We have a port of a PPC 8245 based board and I would want to send a
patch upstream with the board support files.

I still need to port it to the 1.1.2 release in CVS, but I have one main
question.

At the end of the initialisation (before the main_loop()), we shortcut
to our own boot sequence barcbcd_boot();

The boot code reads a number of bytes from a location from flash, and
based on the values of these bytes, we boot the kernel locate 0xA or
0xB (after updating the value in flash). The practical effect is: try
this kernel (and configuration); if it fails, an external source resets
the PPC and we'll boot a version we know will work the next time around.

The only code changed in lib_ppc/board.c are:

#ifdef CONFIG_BARCOBCD_STREAMING
  barcobcd_boot();
#endif

The question is if this is acceptable and if not, what would be a better
location to obtain the same effect.

--
  greetz, marc
I'm Butch. This is Sundance.