[U-Boot-Users] cfi_flash is now working with 64 bit port width

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 1 01:59:42 CEST 2005

In message <42C469BD.4010109 at orkun.us> you wrote:

> I think in this case instead of bloating the cfi_flash.c we could allow
> user to define preprocessor macros in this board file for flash access
> so if those macros are defined, cfi_flash.c would use them and exclude
> its own built-in ones.

Oh no, please don't do this!

> That way, any board with custom data bus (reversed lanes for example) or
> address bus (messed up address line) arrangements or specialized
> handling (need floating point) as in this case would override them
> easily and we would not end up blocks of #if/#elif/#else/#endif etc. in

No. The whole idea of the CFI flash driver is to have  standard  code
for  all  boards.  If  your  design  does  not fit the standard, then
provide your own non-standard driver. Don't add complexity to the CFI
driver - it has just a single advantage (being "standard"), so please
don't drop this.

> the cfi_flash.c. The board would also enable FP unit in its board file
> or within these functions if necessary as well.

"enabling FP" has nothing to do with this. The FPU is never  disabled
or  so.  It's  just  that  the  compiler is told to never emit any FP
instructions :-)

> I can submit a patch to do this while I am working on my other long
> pending patch this weekend. I promise I will get it done this time.

No, please don't go this way.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore. - Russian Proverb