[U-Boot-Users] cfi_flash is now working with 64 bit port width

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri Jul 1 18:25:20 CEST 2005

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>>That way, any board with custom data bus (reversed lanes for example) or
>>address bus (messed up address line) arrangements or specialized
>>handling (need floating point) as in this case would override them
>>easily and we would not end up blocks of #if/#elif/#else/#endif etc. in
>>

>No. The whole idea of the CFI flash driver is to have  standard  code
>for  all  boards.  If  your  design  does  not fit the standard, then
>provide your own non-standard driver. Don't add complexity to the CFI
>driver - it has just a single advantage (being "standard"), so please
>don't drop this.

So, you are saying: it is better to have variations of cfi_flash.c in
board directories and maintenance problems because of code forking of
cfi_flash.c code is better than having the possibility of board specific
read/write access functions. By doing this we not only would save the
day and solve his problem but make cfi_flash.c useful to a broader
application.

For some reason, my mind works to factor common code. It does not make
sense for me but you are the boss.

>>the cfi_flash.c. The board would also enable FP unit in its board file
>>or within these functions if necessary as well.
>>

>"enabling FP" has nothing to do with this. The FPU is never  disabled
>or  so.  It's  just  that  the  compiler is told to never emit any FP
>instructions :-)

He had to modify MSR before using FP instructions as well. That was what
I was pointing to.

Best regards,
Tolunay