[U-Boot-Users] u-boot on OSK

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 4 10:31:44 CEST 2005

Hello,

please keepo the list Cc:ed so others can benefit from this, too.

In message <764af189050704012577893eda at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I want to divide my flash into two parts and the two parts should be
> independent of each other. My question is this one. One partition i am
> planning to use for linux and the second for some other OS. So i want
> the two parts to be independent.

_Creating partitions on the flash is something which effects only the
operating system(s) you are going  to  use.  No  special  changes  to
U-Boot are needed for this.

> In the flash.c file of omap5912osk the function flash_get_size is
> wrinting some values to the 0x5555, 0x2AAA and 0x5555 locations. Do i
> have to do the same thing for my second partition also?

U-Boot operates on the whole physical flash memory,  without  knowing
anything how an OS might interpret the data in the flash, and without
having any notation of partitions or the like.

> Where can i specify the starting and ending addresses for my two partitions=
> ?

You cannot, but this is no problem, as you don't have to. There is no
part in U-Boot where such information is needed.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In a business, marketroids, salespukes, and  lawyers  have  different
goals from those who actually do work and produce something. Usually,
is  is the former who triumph over the latter, due to the simple rule
that those who print the money make the rules.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <5jdcls$b04$2 at csnews.cs.colorado.edu>