[U-Boot-Users] U-boot environment in Xilinx System ACE?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 7 22:00:41 CEST 2005

Dear Keith,

in message <OFD86B567B.6DB5DBFC-ON07257037.005D553D-07257037.005E4D94 at mck.us.ray.com> you wrote:

> The nature of the design requires that the Xilinx System ACE compact flash
> card be the only nonvolatile memory on the board - no plain old FLASH
> memory or I2C EEPROM.  Therefore, I would like to store the U-Boot
> environment as a file on the compact flash card.

This has been discussed before...

> I have checked the latest CVS sources and it appears that no one has
> implemented this yet.

Right.

> Before I take a crack at it, is anyone planning to do this or in the
> process of doing it?  Does anyone have any advice or caveats?

This is not trivial to handle. The environment needs to  be  accessed
very,  very  early  in  initialization - to read the console baudrate
when starting the console driver. IDE /  CompactFlash  on  the  other
hand  gets  initialized  much,  much later, long after relocating the
whole stuff to RAM.

I don't see how these two situations mix easily.  Can  you  attach  a
EEPROM via I2C or so?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Life would be so much easier if we could  just  look  at  the  source
code.                                                   -- Dave Olson