[U-Boot-Users] 2.6.12 with u-boot-1.1.2 on versatile

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 16:45:14 CEST 2005

Greetings!

System details:
Board: Versatile-ARM926Ej-S
Cross-toolchain: 3.4.3
Linux kernel: 2.6.12
u-boot: 1.1.2

I have been able to successfully cross-compile u-boot,
program it to NOR flash, and run it from the SDRAM.

I have also cross-compiled the kernel to create the
vmlinux file. I have used the config file provided in
arm.com site for this board:

http://www.arm.com/linux/linux_download.html

I then created uImage using:

# arm-linux-objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -S
vmlinux linux.bin
# gzip linux.bin
# ./mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C gzip -a
0xc0008000 -e 0xc0008000 -n "Linux Kernel Image" -d
linux.bin.gz uImage

The uImage is programmed at 0x36000000 in NOR flash.
But, When I try to run the kernel from u-boot it hangs
at the following:

## Booting image at 36000000 ...
   Image Name: Linux kernel image
   Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (gzip
compressed)
   Data Size: 1112206 Bytes = 1.1 MB
   Load Address: c0008000
   Entry Point: c0008000
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

Starting kernel ...

When I looked through the debugger (Lauterbach), it
hung at a virtual address inside panic.c.

If anyone can tell me as to what I am doing wrong, and
how I can get the kernel up and running on this board,
it will be really helpful.

Thanks,

K Shakthi

--