[U-Boot-Users] 2.6.12 with u-boot-1.1.2 on versatile

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 17:27:29 CEST 2005

Hi,

Thanks for your replies Peter Pearse and Catalin
Marinas.

1.
--- Peter Pearse <Peter.Pearse at arm.com> wrote:
> I use
>
> <U-Boot dir>/tools/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel
> -C none -a 0x7fc0
> -e 0x8000 -n u-linux -d <Kernel dir>/arch/arm/Image
> u-linux

Worked like a charm!

I then had to copy the kernel to SDRAM 0x7fc0 and boot
it using:

  cp 0x36000000 0x7fc0 <kernel_size>
  bootm 0x7fc0

2.
I then tried to use the base.cramfs filesystem
provided in arm.com:

http://www.arm.com/linux/linux_download.html

I used mkimage to append a header and flashed it at
0x36200000. Copied the same to SDRAM, 0x04000000. I
changed the bootargs values using setenv, but, was not
sure as to what values I need to give.

  setenv bootargs root=/dev/mtdblock0
mtdparts=versatile:0x65d050 at 0x04000000(cramfs) ip=none
mem=128M console=ttyAMA0 video=vc:1-2clcdfb:

I then tried to boot the kernel with the ramdisk:

  bootm 0x7fc0 0x04000000

I got the following output:

http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads/session.log

Why is it trying the floppy? Is it trying the external
memory card?

I did check the boot log to the 2.4.19-rmk6 kernel
provided in the NOR flash, and it loaded ramdisk
drivers etc. I have used the config-versatile-pb file
as provided in arm.com site, which does not have
support for ramdisk by default. I did try enabling
ramdisk support, but, I ended up with the same output
as above. The ramdisk by default is 4 MB in the
kernel, but base.cramfs given in arm.com is 6 MB. I
even tried changing the ramdisk size in kernel CONFIG
to 8 MB, but, no change in the output.

I'd appreciate any feedback for the above, and any
help in getting the filesystem mounted, so I can start
playing with the shell.

Board: Versatile-PB-ARM926EJ-S
Cross_compiler: 3.4.3
Kernel: 2.6.12