[U-Boot-Users] starting an initrd

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 19 23:36:20 CEST 2005

In message <MPEAJFOFNNOAIMOHBACIGENCEBAA.gl4jalopi at earthlink.net> you wrote:

> Also, here is the command line that I'm passing to the Linux kernel:
>  console=ttyS0,38400 initrd=0xa1800000,4096k root=/dev/ram init=/bin/sh

The initrd= part should not be necessary (assuming that  your  kernel
knows  how  to  pick up a ramdisk from flash; this has been discussed
here several times before, search the archives if necessary).

> Linux version 2.6.12-RC4-InHand2 (greg at rh9dev) (gcc version 3.3.4) #62 Tue
> Jul 19 10:42:15 PDT 2005
> CPU: XScale-PXA255 [69052d06] revision 6 (ARMv5TE)
> CPU0: D VIVT undefined 5 cache
> CPU0: I cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte lines, 32 sets
> CPU0: D cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte lines, 32 sets
> Machine: InHand Electronics Fingertip3
> initrd (0xa1800000 - 0xa1c00000) extends beyond physical memory - disabling
> initrd

So your kernel does not know how to handle this. Fix it.

> Any help anyone can give me to point out to me what is happening and/or what
> I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

I've posted the required patches several times  before  (or  see  the
archives, or this PatchSet in the linuxarm tree on our CVS server):

PatchSet 2657