[U-Boot-Users] autostart

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Mar 12 18:24:48 CET 2005

In message <200503121124.j2CBO0Y28470 at hofr.at> you wrote:

> > For Linux kernel images this will not work: the Linux kernel  expects
> > to  be laoded at address 0x0000; when you load it, you will overwrite
> > U-Boot's exception vectors - the next timer interrupt would crash the
> > system. This is why there is a point of  no  return  when  loading  a
> well it does not crash - the kernel actually boots - but I can no longer talk
> to the peripherals on the opb.

Sorry for not being clear enough. I meant: if you tried to just  load
the  Linux  kernel  image into RAM, and then contied executing U-Boot
code (for example trying to use U-Boot's embedded  debugger  [bedbug]
to debug the Linux initialization) then U-Boot would crash as soon as
any reference to it's (now overwritten) exception vectors occurs.

> > Can't you use a real debugger like the BDI2000?
>
> If it were for me to descide yes, do you know if the Xilinx Virtex II Pro is
> properly supported (assuming a 405 soft core)?

Yes, it is.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Thought for the day: What if there were no hypothetical situations?