[U-Boot-Users] memory probe

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Wed May 11 20:38:08 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 21:09, Sumit Chauhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are  planning to use uboot on our system and wanted to know if
> u-boot can probe the memory installed on the system automatically and
> pass the correct mem size to linux kernel  ?

Did you read any of the code for your board?
BTW, what is your board?

Chances are that it will determine the correct size
of your memory dynamically.

> Way I could understand it was that the mem size and offset had to be
> compile time #define'ed ..

Maybe.  Maybe not.

> what if we want same image to work on 2 different memory configuration
> hardware ?

It might work.  What does the code say?

> how does the memory probe work on PC etc ?

No idea.

> bootloaders use BIOS Calls ?
> how can I do this on my ixdp425 plattform ?

Um, there might be some confusion going on here...
What are you wanting to use U-Boot for?

jdl