[U-Boot-Users] memory probe

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 11 20:44:01 CEST 2005

In message <aa56107905050919099b9b06b at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> We are  planning to use uboot on our system and wanted to know if
> u-boot can probe the memory installed on the system automatically and
> pass the correct mem size to linux kernel  ?

Yes, it can. Actually this is the default behaviour.

Ummm... why didn't you have a look at the mailing list arcive instead
of posting?

> Way I could understand it was that the mem size and offset had to be
> compile time #define'ed ..

Wrong.

> what if we want same image to work on 2 different memory configuration
> hardware ?

Just do it. It is up to you how you implement support for your board.

> how does the memory probe work on PC etc ? bootloaders use BIOS Calls ?

BIOS? That's a different world. Wrong list.

> how can I do this on my ixdp425 plattform ?

Have a look at common/memsize.c and how it's used on other boards.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I mean, I . . . think to understand you, I just don't know  what  you
are saying ...                        - Terry Pratchett, _Soul Music_