[U-Boot-Users] cfi_flash.c bug regarding intel k3 devices

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri May 13 00:13:39 CEST 2005

Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> Only after manual "protect off x:y-z" I can erase something.

That is the idea. It is supposed to work this way as far as I
understand. Don't change this behavior...

> Before I could _nothing_ write to the chip. Well, I could but nothing
> happened. Kinda hardware locked.

If you have not done already, I think you should enable hardware (real)
flash protection (CFG_FLASH_PROTECTION) in your board config file.

Upon boot do you see all sectors reported (RO) if you use flinfo command?

If not, you should look at the initialization of flash_info[].protect[]
within flash_get_size() which is called from flash_init().

If this array is not initialized properly, U-Boot might attempt to erase
a locked sector/block incorrectly instead of bailing out nicely. I think
"saveenv" would have trouble as well. If this is the case, perhaps,
FLASH_OFFSET_PROTECT and FLASH_STATUS_PROTECT is not appropriate for
your type of flash and you should work on a solution for this instead.

Regards,
Tolunay