[U-Boot-Users] Makefile problems

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Sat May 14 01:48:50 CEST 2005

Hello,

as the command constants in cmd_confdefs.h are long longs,
the programs in tools that include a board configuration file
dont't compile with GCC 2.x.  But on a number of workstations
the 'gcc' command is still 2.95.x, while the 3.x version
is named gcc3, gcc-3 or similar.
One way to solve this is to add a line to tools/Makefile like
HOSTCC=gcc-3
But now I need a different makefile on different machines.
To avoid this, I tried things like
 $ HOSTCC=gcc-3 make
or even
 $ HOSTCC=gcc-3 make -e
but none of these worked.
The most elegant version would be to give the HOSTCC at
configuration time, i.e.
 $ HOSTCC=gcc-3 make xyz_config
But I have no idea whether this is possible and if so how
to implement it.

Any ideas?

 Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/