[U-Boot-Users] Makefile problems

Simon Poole simon.armlinux at themalago.net
Mon May 16 14:33:40 CEST 2005

Detlef Vollmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as the command constants in cmd_confdefs.h are long longs,
> the programs in tools that include a board configuration file
> dont't compile with GCC 2.x.  But on a number of workstations
> the 'gcc' command is still 2.95.x, while the 3.x version
> is named gcc3, gcc-3 or similar.
> One way to solve this is to add a line to tools/Makefile like
> HOSTCC=gcc-3
> But now I need a different makefile on different machines.
> To avoid this, I tried things like
>  $ HOSTCC=gcc-3 make
> or even
>  $ HOSTCC=gcc-3 make -e
> but none of these worked.
> The most elegant version would be to give the HOSTCC at
> configuration time, i.e.
>  $ HOSTCC=gcc-3 make xyz_config
> But I have no idea whether this is possible and if so how
> to implement it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
>  Detlef

I'm not sure why "HOSTCC=gcc-3 make -e" isn't working.  This should
override the declaration in config.mk.

However, you can always try the alternative (better) syntax:
make HOSTCC=gcc-3

make -e should be avoided because it causes *all* of your environment
variables to override declarations in the Makefile.  Using the format
above you can explicity override individual variables.

--
Simon Poole
www.appliancestudio.com