[U-Boot-Users] Makefile problems

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Mon May 16 20:09:52 CEST 2005

Simon Poole wrote:

> I'm not sure why "HOSTCC=gcc-3 make -e" isn't working.  This should
> override the declaration in config.mk.
>
> However, you can always try the alternative (better) syntax:
> make HOSTCC=gcc-3
The problem with this is, that I have to remeber that every time
I issue the command (and my customers as well).
If the first version would work, I could put the variable
in the shell startup file.

> make -e should be avoided because it causes *all* of your environment
> variables to override declarations in the Makefile.
I believe that is what I want.
The problem with it is that it works recursively: the definitions
in the main makefile overide the ones from the sub-makefile.
And that causes the sources in the tools directory to be
compiled with the CC from the main makefile, which is the
cross compiler :-(

> Using the format
> above you can explicity override individual variables.
On each single invocation.  And that is what I want to avoid.

 Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/