[U-Boot-Users] Makefile problems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 17 01:04:46 CEST 2005

In message <4288E1F0.52B7590 at vollmann.ch> you wrote:

> > make HOSTCC=gcc-3
> The problem with this is, that I have to remeber that every time
> I issue the command (and my customers as well).

You better know exactly what you are doing, so having to remember the
correct command is a Good Thing (TM).

> If the first version would work, I could put the variable
> in the shell startup file.

... and run into trouble with other builds failing  in  "interesting"
ways later. No, thanks.

> > make -e should be avoided because it causes *all* of your environment
> > variables to override declarations in the Makefile.
> I believe that is what I want.

You think you want it, but you don't. Really. You DO NOT.

> > Using the format
> > above you can explicity override individual variables.
> On each single invocation.  And that is what I want to avoid.

But each single invocation produces results. Maybe different  results
if you want. Or if you think you want ;-)

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."       - Doug Gwyn

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.
                                                    -- Samuel Goldwyn