[U-Boot-Users] Makefile problems

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Tue May 17 07:12:20 CEST 2005

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <4288E1F0.52B7590 at vollmann.ch> you wrote:
> > > make HOSTCC=gcc-3
> > The problem with this is, that I have to remeber that every time
> > I issue the command (and my customers as well).
>
> You better know exactly what you are doing, so having to remember the
> correct command is a Good Thing (TM).
Hmm, so if my host's C compiler happens to be named gcc, I don't
have to remember, but if it happens to be named differently
(ncc, como, gcc-3, acc, ...) I need to remember?
Strange policy...

> > If the first version would work, I could put the variable
> > in the shell startup file.
>
> ... and run into trouble with other builds failing  in  "interesting"
> ways later. No, thanks.
Well, that's the way all the packages using 'configure' work.
They pick up whatever is defined in your environment at
configure time.

And as I wrote, my most preferred solution would be something
like 'HOSTCC=gcc-3 make xyz_config'.  To achieve this, a simple
line like '[ $HOSTCC ] && echo "HOSTCC = $HOSTCC" >> config.mk'
in mkconfig would probably suffice.  But maybe there's another
(better) way.

 Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/