[U-Boot-Users] Makefile problems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 17 09:17:19 CEST 2005

In message <42897D34.1D5EDE7 at vollmann.ch> you wrote:

> > You better know exactly what you are doing, so having to remember the
> > correct command is a Good Thing (TM).
> Hmm, so if my host's C compiler happens to be named gcc, I don't
> have to remember, but if it happens to be named differently
> (ncc, como, gcc-3, acc, ...) I need to remember?
> Strange policy...

What is strange about this? You will have to do the same whith  about
any Makefile I know.

> Well, that's the way all the packages using 'configure' work.
> They pick up whatever is defined in your environment at
> configure time.

We don't use configure, though.

> And as I wrote, my most preferred solution would be something
> like 'HOSTCC=gcc-3 make xyz_config'.  To achieve this, a simple
> line like '[ $HOSTCC ] && echo "HOSTCC = $HOSTCC" >> config.mk'
> in mkconfig would probably suffice.  But maybe there's another
> (better) way.

What makes it difficult for you to use

	make HOSTCC=gcc-3 xyz_config
instead of
	HOSTCC=gcc-3 make xyz_config
??

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success  is  also
easy  to  handle:  you've  solved  the  wrong  problem.  Work hard to
improve.