[U-Boot-Users] Microcode patches for mpc8xx

Vladimir A. Gurevich vag at paulidav.org
Sun May 22 07:55:53 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about RAM microcode patches for MPC8xx CPUs:

   1. What is EXACTLY the patch in cpu/mpc8xx/upatch.c. Specifically,
      which CPU(s) it is applicable to? I looked at a couple of recent
      patches available at Freescale website and none of them resembles
      the stuff in upatch.c
   2. My impression is that different CPUs need different patches. I can
      at least see patches for MPC823, MPC850, MPC860 and MPC862. That
      means that we probably need to check not only CFG_*_UCODE_PATCH,
      but also the corresponding CONFIG_ variable for the CPU. I am
      about to add the appropriate patch for my board, and thus I have
      to #ifdef the older one and I'd better do it right.
   3. I noticed that there is special handling for SPI and I2C, but how
      about SMC? I use SCC3 in the ethernet mode and SMC1 as a console
      and definitely have a problem. (A simple change to scc.c seems to
      have fixed the problem for now, but I'd like to have a cleaner
      solution).
   4. Finally, what is the assumption about Linux. Is it supposed to
      reset the CP and reload the patches?

Thanks,
Vladimir