[U-Boot-Users] Use of LCD as console

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 24 13:18:13 CEST 2005

In message <011201c5604c$d4474a30$0f10b40a at dlh.st.com> you wrote:

> 	I have board in which UART is not present,so I can not get the console
> using the UART.But I have LCD panel present on the borad.Is is possible
> to use the LCD panel to act as console of the u-boot ?.If yes then can

No, this is not possible.

You can use the LCD, but as output channel only. There is no  way  to
take input from a LCD display.

> any one please tell me what changes I have to do in the u-boot to
> provide the console on LCD.Also please tell me if there is any interface
> for LCD already present in the u-boot

Yes, there are several graphics controllers that are  well  supported
in U-Boot, even with advanced features like splash screen support.

Also note that U-Boot supports a netconsole interface  so  you  could
communicate over UDP with your target board.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many QA engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 3:  1  to
screw it in and 2 to say "I told you so" when it doesn't work.