[U-Boot-Users] tool to create environment on host?

Simon Poole simon.armlinux at themalago.net
Wed May 25 16:31:15 CEST 2005

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>>That would be *so* useful for our nightly builds...
>

> Why so? If correctly configured, the environment is  built  automati-
> cally with the U-Boot image anyway.

Our nightly build produces the full u-boot, kernel, rootfs for our
products and wraps it up into a nice single firmware image ready for
flashing onto the boards.

The environment for a single board may vary slightly depending on the
product it is going into (e.g. different mtdparts kernel bootarg).  Our
current procedure is to run u-boot on the board, setup the environment
correctly, save a binary image of it and put that in the nightly build.
  Steven's idea means we can keep the environment in 'source' format and
build the binary on the fly.

I might have missed a trick though if this can be done as part of the
normal u-boot build?

Simon.
--
Simon Poole