[U-Boot-Users] tool to create environment on host?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 25 17:06:40 CEST 2005

In message <42948C33.4010209 at themalago.net> you wrote:

> The environment for a single board may vary slightly depending on the
> product it is going into (e.g. different mtdparts kernel bootarg).  Our

OK - so you have  several  configurations,  which  require  different
environment settings. Right?

>   Steven's idea means we can keep the environment in 'source' format and
> build the binary on the fly.

You can have several (default) configuration stored  simply  in  your
board's  config  file and select these for example by using different
Makefile targets.

> I might have missed a trick though if this can be done as part of the
> normal u-boot build?

Add the required definitions to your board config  file,  and  select
these  as  different  make targets. See for example tre adjustment of
the   U-Boot   image   file   name   on   the    TFTP    server    in
"include/configs/TQM5200.h" (search for CONFIG_U_BOOT_SUFFIX), or see
the  different  initialization  of the environment depending on flash
size  (CONFIG_FLASH_8MB)  and  whether  or  not  the  hush  shell  is
activated (CFG_HUSH_PARSER) in "include/configs/trab.h"

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.