[U-Boot-Users] tool to create environment on host?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 25 21:56:05 CEST 2005

In message <200505251312.29064.ngustavson at emacinc.com> you wrote:

> That's a good idea, but doesn't work for us because we distribute the boards
> with valid MAC's in the enviornment, hence every one must be different, and
> gets hand programmed.

There are solutions for this, too.

> I don't know that there's a way to get around this, but if someone has come up
> with a tool, I would love to get my hands on it!

See "board/tqm8xx/load_sernum_ethaddr.c" - on these boards the unused
space at the end of the last U-Boot flash sector is  used:  we  store
some  data  structure  in the last 64 bytes of this sector containing
the serial number, MAC address and som configuration  information  of
the  board.  These 64 bytes are programmed after all the software has
been installed, right before testing the boards.

U-Boot  will  check  if  the  envrionment  variables  "serial#"   and
"ethaddr" are already defined - if this is the case, nothing happens;
if  not  they  get auto-initialized from this data structure. This is
completely transparent to the user.

You see, all these problems were already addressed somewhere :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Even if you can deceive people about  a  product  through  misleading
statements, sooner or later the product will speak for itself.
- Hajime Karatsu