[U-Boot-Users] PPC 440GX ECC SDRAM configuration from U-Boot

Barbier, Renaud (GE Infrastructure) Renaud.Barbier at ge.com
Fri May 27 11:20:51 CEST 2005

I too have ECC and have not solved complexly the problem.
So far it takes about 6-7s to initialize 512MB. Hence, 12-14s for 1GB.
The method I use is two lines of assembly code in the loop. My theory is that should run from the pipeline.

program_myecc:
    mtctr r3
    lis r7, 0xeeee
    ori r7, r7, 0xeeee
    lis r4, 0
    ori r4, r4, 0
zeroLoop:
    stwu r7, 8(r4)
    bdnz zeroLoop
    blr

This is a 32-bit store with update.

However, this is still not the fastest you can get.

Under vxWorks, I allocated (malloc) a big amount of memory (384MB) and bzero it.
I calculated it should take less than 2s to burn 512MB.
In this case vxWorks uses both the I and D cache.